Walter Reed – O&M Phase-In
On 30 September 2017 our Medical Support Division (MSD) initiated Phase–In efforts on our Operations & Maintenance contract at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) – Bethesda, MD.
CHALLENGE: Our team was responsible for completing the build–out of Building 225 (approximately 4,000 SF) IAW WRNMMC approved contractor plans, which would serve as the support and storage space to be utilized by J&J’s maintenance staff.
- Government–provided area only provided basic warehouse grade lighting and HVAC
- There were no restrooms in, or adjacent to Bldg. 225
- Phase–in only allowed for 30 days of construction
SOLUTION [Outfitting Building 225]: J&J enlisted the expertise of our Regional Construction Division, led by Cliff Drumheller (Regional Manager) who collaborated with our O&M Regional Manager, Gary Weiss, to accelerate design plans, expedite/environmental dig permits, coordinate with NAVFAC (for utility tie–in points), and complete construction services inclusive of Construction Management, Quality Control, and Safety services.
Through this synergistic approach, we minimized interruptions to the facility, allowing Phase–In key personnel to remain focused on transition milestones for full performance effective 16 December 2017. Our Regional Construction Division worked with our proven subcontractor, North American Construction and AE Firm, Watson Engineering, to assist in:
- Providing build-out plans to WRNMMC Facilities Management for approval for utility connections
- Establishing an effective and efficient storage configuration meeting requirements for parts, materials and equipment storage
DID YOU KNOW? WRNMMC provides care for the President and Vice President of the United States, Members of Congress, and Justices of the Supreme Court. In addition, when authorized, WRNMMC provides care for foreign military and embassy personnel.